01 Nov About Us – JLM Scholarship
THE JUNIOR LEAGUE OF MIAMI SCHOLARSHIP
The Junior League of Miami, Inc. is proud to sponsor The Junior League of Miami Scholarship awarded to three female, high school seniors in the Miami-Dade County Public School System, who have exhibited superior community service involvement during their high school careers, while maintaining high academic achievement. Two of the three scholarships will be awarded in honor of Kathryn Menke Miller and one scholarship will be administered by the Junior League of Miami with funds provided by The Uppaluri Family Foundation.
The Junior League of Miami Scholarship – In Honor of Kathryn Menke Miller
Formerly the Kathryn Menke Miller Community Service Award & Scholarship, the scholarship was established in 1985 and is given in memory of one of our members, Kathryn Menke Miller. Kathryn was the “epitome of a hardworking, caring and loving volunteer.” Her greatest accomplishments were assisting our community’s children and her dedication to our public education system. This scholarship is presented annually to a total of two female high school seniors in the Miami-Dade County Public School System.
The Junior League of Miami Scholarship – Funded by The Uppaluri Family Foundation
This scholarship was established in 2015. Mr. and Mrs. Uppaluri came to the United States individually to further their education. Because of the education they received and their hard work, they were able to succeed in their respective careers and are now in a position to give back to the community that has given them so much. Mr. and Mrs. Uppaluri strongly believe that the opportunity to get a higher education is a privilege and want to give this opportunity to hard working students in the Miami-Dade Public School System. The Uppaluri Family Foundation will provide funds for one Junior League of Miami Scholarship annually, with a possibility to receive further funding for three consecutive years upon reapplication. The funds will be provided in the following manner:
- Year 1: $3,000 (new scholarship)
- Year 2 – 4: Additional $2,000/year scholarship for Year 1 recipient (annual re-application required)
In order to be considered for one of the three scholarships awarded by the Junior League of Miami, a two-part process needs to be followed:
- Part One: One (1) honoree is selected by the CAP advisor from each school for recognition.
- Part Two: Three (3) recipients are then selected by the Junior League of Miami from the pool of honorees to receive one (1) Scholarship each. To be eligible for the scholarship, an honoree must submit The Junior League of Miami Scholarship Application Packet including the Scholarship Application, Community Service Supervisor Recommendation Form, and Honoree Submittal Form. You can access the forms through the below buttons.
Each CAP advisor should select ONE (1) graduating female senior from each Miami-Dade public high school that meets the criteria stated below:
- Minimum 3.0 academic grade point average
- Minimum 3.0 conduct grade point average
- Be a Florida resident
- Complete the Florida Financial Aid Application by high school graduation
- Earn a standard Florida high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Not have been found guilty of, or pled nolo contendere to, a felony charge, unless the student has been granted clemency by the Governor and Cabinet sitting as the Executive Office of Clemency.
- Be enrolled for at least 6 semester credit hours (or the equivalent in quarter or clock hours).
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The student’s FAFSA does not have to indicate need; however, must be complete and processed error free prior to a student’s first disbursement of an award.
- Meet the Community Service requirement for the desired award level, as described below: *GSV initial eligibility requirements include the completion of 30 hours of community service
Once the student is identified, the CAP advisor should inform the honoree that they have been selected and that they are now eligible to apply for the $3,000.00 Junior League of Miami Scholarship. The honoree will automatically be recognized as a Junior League of Miami Scholarship Honoree.
Scholarship Application Submission
In order to be considered for one (1) of the three (3) $3,000.00 Scholarships awarded by the Junior League of Miami, the honoree must complete The Junior League of Miami Scholarship Application Packet no later than December 7, 2018.
*If the Honoree is selected to receive the Junior League of Miami Scholarship, the Honoree will be expected to attend the Award Luncheon (as a guest of honor). Additional details regarding the luncheon will be made available as needed.
For questions about the submission deadline and for additional information on The Junior League of Miami Scholarship, please contact the Scholarship Committee Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org